Following on from yesterday’s communication on Covid-19 (Coronavirus) and Government announcements on gatherings of more than 500 people this afternoon, WRFU wish to advise the following:
- We are continuing to work on this issue and no decision has yet been made to cancel club rugby in Wellington.
- We note the announcement from Government this afternoon around crowd sizes and other measures including “social distancing”.
- In this regard, Government has confirmed more specific advice will be provided as the week progresses, so we are urgently seeking those clarifications to mitigate risk at events.
- We have a duty of care to everyone involved in our game, and will continue to work closely with NZR ensuring that player and spectator safety is our first priority.
- Clubs can expect a further update tomorrow.
Although these are unprecedented and rapidly changing times, we recommend that clubs continue to prepare for club rugby to be played this weekend until otherwise notified.
Clubs should take all reasonable steps to protect players, coaches and managers by following the below guidelines:
- Staying away from training if you are experiencing flu like symptoms
- Regularly washing hands with soap (recommended) or an antibacterial wash
- Covering coughs and sneezes
- Bringing and using a personal drink bottles (not sharing)
- Limiting spitting
- Cleaning surfaces regularly (e.g. hit shields, balls etc)
We will provide another update on this situation tomorrow. In the meantime, should you have any questions please contact either Will Caccia-Birch or Michael Langley.