Finalists announced for 2019 Community Rugby Awards
The finalists for the 2019 Wellington Rugby Football Union Community Rugby Awards have been announced.
The awards, which will be held on Wednesday 11 September, are a great opportunity to celebrate and recognise those involved in our community game at junior and senior levels.
It is the third year the awards, which recognise players, teams, referees and volunteers, have been held after it was decided to separate the community and representative parts of the game in Wellington.
In all, 12 awards will be presented, including the club team and club coach of the year.
The awards are also the right time to recognise some of the many outstanding volunteers we have in the game - both at junior and senior level.
Following that, the prestigious Wellington Rugby Football Union Lifetime Contribution Salver will be presented.
The 2019 WRFU Community Rugby Awards finalists are:
Referee of the Year:
- Richard Gordon
- Nick Hogan
- Vincent Ringrose
Junior Rugby Volunteer of the Year:
- Jimmy Atkinson (Avalon)
- Rebecca Dixon (Petone)
- Annemie Otto (Paremata-Plimmerton)
Senior Rugby Volunteer of the Year:
- Perry Barber (Johnsonville)
- Tony Walsh (Western Suburbs)
- John Willis (Oriental-Rongotai)
Club Coach of the Year:
- Gerrard Fasavalu (Northern United Premier)
- Dan Farani & Dan Smith (Wainuiomata Premier)
- Edwin Meachen (Marist St Pats Premier Reserves)
Club Team of the Year:
- Avalon 85kg Restricted
- Marist St Pats Premier Reserves
- Northern United Premier
- Oriental-Rongotai Women
Age Grade Player of the Year:
- Cameron Ferreira (Petone)
- Luke Gilbert (Old Boys University)
- Tasipale Valavala (Marist St Pats)
Women's Club Player of the Year:
- Jane Bryce (Marist St Pats)
- Montana Heslop (Old Boys University)
- Amanda Rasch (Oriental-Rongotai)
Other awards to be presented on the evening, but without nominees, are the WRFU Lifetime Contribution Salver, the Club Community Award in association with the New Zealand Amateur Sport Association Inc., the Billy Wallace Memorial Trophy and the Club Awards based on performance on-field.