Statement to stakeholders - Tuesday 18 August, 3:51pm
Please see attached the Junior & Senior Rugby draws for this Friday and Saturday. Please also note:
Staggered Days & Kick-Off Times:
To enable all rugby to take place we have split matches across Friday evening and Saturday. Where there are multiple matches on fields we have also staggered kick-off times to reduce bubbles overlapping.
For Junior rugby matches on grass fields this Friday there is no obligation to split fields in halves or quarters like normal. Please work with other teams at the same venue and if required set fields up with cones where the lighting is best. This could be a combination of on-field and/or training areas.
Spectator Free Please:
To ensure the safety of participants we are again asking all Clubs to promote the Spectator Free messaging please.
If we are going to be able to run all grades of rugby this weekend this message is more important than ever under Alert Level 2.
For Junior Rugby matches we suggest that one parent drops off children and then either return to the car or watch while applying social distancing. Where fields are split in halves or quarters there is to be absolutely no one between these fields (i.e. remain behind the sideline of a full rugby field).
Event Plans & Contact Tracing:
Last week we asked the home clubs to prepare an event plan, and both clubs to supply a list of 45 attendees. In lieu of this arrangement we suggest the following this weekend:
- The team listed on the left (or home) side of the draw is responsible for speaking to the opposition about specific plans for the weekend. This needs to occur for all matches in all grades.
- This is to include how fields will be controlled, and whether changing rooms will be available for teams
- WRFU will check in with Clubs either Thursday or Friday to discuss arrangements and address any concerns
We are working with each of the Councils to have the NZ COVID Tracer App QR code at all venue entrances. We suggest that Clubs also promote their own IDME or Ripl contact tracing processes too.
As communicated yesterday we are unlikely to be able to accommodate any draw changes this weekend. Significant thought has gone into this weekends draw to please as many parties as possible.
Considerations for Matches Postponed Last Weekend:
After consultation with relevant parties we can advise the following will take place for matches that were postponed last weekend.
Please note that WRFU explored the possibility of mid-week night matches for the Premier Reserve grade however ground availability and remaining weeks pre-finals meant this wouldn’t be possible. Equally WRFU need to ensure that any decisions are equitable for all teams given the possibility of yo-yoing between alert levels.
- Junior Rugby:
- All matches postponed will not be rescheduled. Junior Rugby continues to conclude on Sat 29 August.
- Senior Rugby:
- Premier Reserve: These matches will not be rescheduled and in accordance with WRFU By-Laws will be declared a Match Not Played. Each match will be declared a 0-0 draw and each team will receive 3 competition points.
- Under 21’s: Last weekend’s matches will be rescheduled between the last round robin and Semi-Finals. The SF’s and Finals will be pushed out a week meaning the grade now finishes on September 26th.
- Under 85kg: Last weekend’s matches will be rescheduled between the last round robin and Semi-Finals. The SF’s and Finals will be pushed out a week meaning the grade now finishes on September 12th.
- Reserve Grade: These matches will not be rescheduled and in accordance with WRFU By-Laws will be declared a Match Not Played. Each match will be declared a 0-0 draw and each team will receive 3 competition points.
- Presidents: These matches are deemed cancelled and will not be rescheduled at this stage.
We appreciate that this weeks draw is unique, however we trust that as leaders within your communities you will promote why we are scheduling matches this way, while we remain at Level 2.
Should you have any questions please feel free to reach out to myself or anyone else within the Community Rugby Team.
Thanks in advance for your understanding.
WRFU Community Rugby Team