STATEMENT: Wellington club player in critical condition in Wellington Hospital

|   News

STATEMENT FROM WELLINGTON RUGBY 

A Wellington Football Club Colts grade player is in Wellington Hospital in an induced coma following a serious incident during a match at Ngati Toa Domain on Saturday, May 13.
 
Wellington Rugby chief executive Steve Rogers said the organisation’s main focus at this time is providing support to the player’s family, his club, and the wider rugby community affected by this tragic event.
 
Wellington Rugby was working with the New Zealand Rugby Foundation and New Zealand Rugby to ensure full support, including counselling had been made available to all of the parties involved.
 
At this stage the injured player’s name will not be released at the request of his family, who have asked that media respect their privacy during a difficult time.
 
It remains unclear precisely what led to the player’s head injury, but an inquiry is already underway involving both Wellington Rugby and New Zealand Rugby.
 
Although no single incident has been identified as the cause of the player’s injury, witnesses have reported the player was involved in a collision during the first half of the match.
 
There are no allegations of foul play.
 
What we do know is the player was removed from the field late in the match after teammates noticed he was displaying worrying symptoms during a stoppage in play.
 
Shortly after leaving the field his condition deteriorated rapidly and ambulance officers already at the ground attended to the player. He was taken to Wellington Hospital where he underwent brain surgery on Saturday night.
 
Since then he has remained in a critical condition.
 
The thoughts and prayers of the Wellington rugby community and the Wellington Club are with the player and his family.

 

STATEMENT ON BEHALF OF THE PLAYER'S FAMILY

The family of the Wellington Football Club colts player injured in a club rugby game at Ngati Toa Domain on Saturday say what happened to the 19-year-old was a tragic accident. 

His family said he was doing what he loved, enjoying the game he has played since he was 7-years-old.  What happened was nothing more than an accident.

Family and friends are with him at his bedside at Wellington Hospital and they want to express their thanks for the wonderful care he has received from the paramedics, rugby supporters at Ngati Toa Domain, and from the amazing staff at Wellington Hospital.

They also express their gratitude for the love and incredible support they have received from friends and the Wellington rugby community.

They say it has been a huge comfort during a traumatic time. 

The family ask that the media respect their privacy.  This is the only public comment they wish to make at this time.