WRFU is pleased to share with you the 2017 Bartercard Jubilee and Hardham Cup draws, following the completion of the Swindale Shield rounds. These draws also provide the draws for the Ed Chaney Cup and HD Morgan Memorial Cup.
As was voted for by clubs in 2016, the second round Premier and Premier Reserve competitions have had some structural changes which allow all Premier matches to be played at the usual 2:45pm time, as well as ensuring that every Premier side has their Premier Reserve team with them each weekend. The full list of changes are as follows:
Bartercard Jubilee Cup & Hardham Cup Competitions (Premier Second Round)
- Bartercard Jubilee Cup format remains unchanged.
- Hardham Cup reduced from eight to six teams
- Hardham Cup to be contested by premier teams only.
- Hardham Cup teams to play each other home and away over ten weeks.
- No Hardham Cup semi-finals or final.
Ed Chaney Cup & HD Morgan Memorial Trophy (Premier Reserve Second Round)
- The Ed Chaney Cup will be contested by the Premier Reserve teams from the eight clubs who qualified for the Bartercard Jubilee Cup. The format is the same as the Jubilee Cup.
- The HD Morgan Memorial Trophy will be contested by the Premier Reserve teams from the six clubs contesting the Hardham Cup. The format is the same as the Hardham Cup.
When constructing the Bartercard Jubilee Cup & Ed Chaney Cup draws WRFU applied the following criteria:
- Working with ground availability, particularly Porirua, Evans Bay and Hutt Rec
- Looking at the last 5 seasons, ensuring that the balance of home games in the Jubilee Cup compared to previous seasons is fair.
It's important to note that WRFU did not simply base this off last season's Bartercard Jubilee Cup, but went back a number of seasons to ensure the fairest outcome.
- Reversal of as many (if not all) fixtures from the Swindale Shield. This year 6 matches weren't able to be reversed.
- Ensuring that all teams have at least 3 home games, and no more than 4 home games, and that no team has more than three consecutive games either home or away.
When constructing the Hardham Cup & HD Morgan Memorial Cup draws WRFU applied the following criteria:
- Working with ground availability, particularly Fraser Park
- Ensuring that all teams get 5 home games, and that no team has more than three consecutive games either home or away.
As all teams get an even number of home matches, and get to play each opposition team both home and away there was no need to consider reversals from the Swindale Shield.